At Hamilton Forth we frequently meet people who are struggling to determine the next step in their careers. Many know they need a change but can’t articulate exactly what that is. They have become stagnated, disengaged and feel undervalued. Many are suffering from change fatigue after a sustained period of change where the assumed benefits haven’t materialised.
As recruitment consultants we are well positioned to assist those looking for new opportunities. In order to do this successfully, we need to fully understand what the candidate is looking for from their next role. If you don’t know, it can’t be communicated to others.
This can pose a particular challenge if you have been working in the same organisation for a number of years or have always operated in a similar role or capacity. Whilst it sounds easy to apply for opportunities with the same job title or in the same industry, it is worth taking stock of what you truly want from a position, company and lifestyle when entering the job market.
Things to consider:
- What do you enjoy about your role?
- Conversely, what do you not enjoy?
- What culture or environment do you thrive in?
- What key skills do you have and what do you want to learn/ develop?
- What fits with your lifestyle e.g. working hours, commute, flexibility etc?
- What industry sector/ product/ market aligns with your interests?
Sometimes a change in job or company is all it takes to reignite passion and challenge. For others, fundamental change is essential to reaching longer-term goals and interests.
Once you have a well-defined view of the key aspects you are looking for, start focusing your energies:
- Highlight your skills and achievements on your CV, not just chronological job history
- Utilise your networks and agency partners to identify opportunities you are interested in pursuing
- Attend relevant events and increase your network in your specific areas of interest
- Ensure your social media profile is up to date with relevant keywords, phrases and information, that is highlighted and visible
It is important to remember that we are all on a career journey. The next opportunity you take may not meet everything on your wish list, but meeting some of your criteria will certainly start you moving towards your career end goal!
To discuss career opportunities in the transformation and change sector, contact Sara Harrison or Angela McCann.