Hamilton Forth is delighted to be partnering with Midlothian Council to recruit a Google Workspace Engineer.
This is a permanent position, where the Google Workspace Engineer will be responsible for working with the Principle Infrastructure Engineer to develop, manage and support the Council's Digital Services infrastructure, including the development and monitoring of technical policy, implementation and compliance with standards in line with Google Workspace across both the Corporate and Education estate.
The post holder will have significant knowledge and experience in Google Workspace technical project management, service development and on co-ordinating the work of Digital Services; other council services; external agencies and third party providers working alongside colleagues in other service areas. The post holder will have significant technical experience that will have been gained in working with multiple technologies and associated services with the IT sector in addition to the Google Workspace administration core skill set.
About Midlothian Council:
Situated just ten miles south of Edinburgh, Midlothian boasts some of the finest green spaces in Scotland including the Pentlands Regional Park. It has the fastest-growing population of any region. People are moving to the area to live in new housing, to take advantage of job opportunities, and the excellent transport links, including the Borders Railway. Once known for its mining, Midlothian now has the largest concentration of animal-science-related expertise in Europe. The Edinburgh and South East Scotland City Region Deal, a major initiative with the potential to transform Midlothian, will drive productivity and growth while reducing inequalities and deprivation. Meanwhile, ambitious plans to improve town and village centres including Dalkeith, Newtongrange, Penicuik and Gorebridge will further boost the economy. Midlothian offers excellent leisure opportunities. Our Loanhead Centre, incorporating a new primary school, library, medical practice, pool and leisure facilities, won a Scottish Property Award. Newbattle Community Campus opened in 2018 and is a Digital Centre of Excellence. The Midlothian Snowsports Centre at Hillend boasts the longest dry ski slope in Europe whilst five of the Council’s parks have Green Flags.
The main duties of this position lie in providing and managing technical support for the Council's IT Infrastructure.
- Provide substantial input to strategic technical issues.
- Research, analyse and recommend appropriate choices for the development of key areas of the Council’s IT infrastructure.
- Assist in the development of robust, responsive services through developing processes and procedures based around ITIL.
- Project Manage the deployment of new Infrastructure technologies.
- Ensure that the technical Service delivery section contributes effectively to other projects where and when required.
- Supervise the support of the Council’s servers, PCs and data communications equipment and provide high level technical support when required.
- Ensure that Digital Services maintain a high level of customer satisfaction and confidence ensuring any issues raised are dealt with fairly and promptly.
- Work with suppliers to ensure the successful delivery of services/goods procured by IT.
- Write system documentation and define procedures.
- The post-holder may be expected to supervise the work of up to 2-4 staff.
Essential Candidate Expertise:
- Detailed knowledge and substantial experience in Google Workspace technologies
- High level knowledge of and experience in Microsoft server technologies.
- Experience of managing technology platforms across a large organisation
Desirable Candidate Expertise:
- Microsoft 365 Administration experience including Azure and AD
- Experience in Apple device management tools including JAMF and Apple Schools Manager
- Experience of Microsoft server operating systems and virtualisation technologies including Microsoft HyperV and VMWare ESXi
For more information and to register your interest, please contact Rachel Sim at [email protected]